Tuesday 24 December 2013

It's not to late for Christmas cake


Normally I would never bake a Christmas cake as there is always far to much to eat. I really like Christmas cake but it is rather heavy so I have tried to make a lighter version that does need feed with brandy for weeks. Pour yourself a brandy and enjoy Christmas this is easy no marzipan to make or Royal Icing I have decided to ice the cake with a rum and lime drizzle topped with cranberries. 
What makes this cake is a good sweet mince meat I used mine. 

Butter 200g at room temp cut into small cubes
Soft brown sugar 80g
Caster sugar 120g
Eggs large 2 
Self raising flour 200g
Ground ginger 1 tsp
Grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp
Good quality sweet mincemeat 200g 

Cream the butter and sugars together then add the eggs to make a smooth light batter.
Fold in the dry ingredients make sure not to over mix before folding in the sweet mince meat. 
Place into a prepared cake tin and bake at 150oc in fan oven until golden and cake begins to come away from the side of the tin. 


The icing is just the juice of a lime added to icing sugar and a wee drop of rum to make a thick but pourable icing I like the rustic finish as you can see. Almonds and cranberries scattered on top, next time I make this cake I think I will add another 50g of sweet mince meat. 
I hope you like this and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment