Monday 12 January 2015

Lemon and honey in a jar

This is a recipe from a few years ago after a wonderful walking holiday in the south of Spain. I returned with quite a few lemons just picked of the tree in our hosts garden and made this marmalade in Rowallane Gardens kitchen. 



Lemons   1kg
Water       2.5 ltrs
Sugar      1.75 kg
Honey     200grms

I started by scrubbing the lemons in cold water then juicing them, leave the juice to one side. Now this is the most important separate the pith from the zest I cut the lemons into quarters and cut of the pith and set aside, next i sliced up the zest into fine strips. The next step is to put the pith into muslin and tie it up then I put the zest, lemon juice and water and muslin bag into a preserving pan and brought to the boil and simmered for just under 2 hours. Next I removed the muslin squeezing any remaining liquid in the bag back into remaining liquid now I added the sugar and honey to the pot and brought to a rolling boil until it reached the setting point before jarring. This made 9 275grm jars 

No comments:

Post a Comment