Monday 26 August 2013

Super salad

Salad does not have to be soggy lettuce raw peppers and picked beetroot, a salad should be seasonal fresh exciting and have lots of different textures as well as tasting great.
So when I do a bread course I put as much thought to the lunch I will serve as I do the bread that will be made.
So this month I shared a grain that I have only recently started to eat- Quinoa. 


Quinoa Salad 

To prepare the salad you must first cook the Quinoa, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water bring to a boil and simmer until the grains turn translucent and al dente. 
Drain the water and spread the grains on a tray to cool, as they are cooling squeeze the juice of a lemon over them. 
For the rest of the salad I roasted a Spaghetti squash which I grew myself, roast with time Broightor Gold oil and a chilli until the flesh is soft. Leave aside to cool. 
For the rest of the salad I added beans, string beans, cranberries, grapes, celery mint, apple. A fennel bulb would be great if you have on just add very fresh veg. 
To assemble take the skin of the squash and shred the flesh adding to the Quinoa, then add the other chopped veg squeeze the juice of an orange and a good drizzle of Broightor Gold rapeseed oil, season with salt and pepper and mix.
Serve in a large bowl to share and garnish with mint leaves and cranberries, pine nuts would be great if you have them. 
Enjoy



Quinoa (/ˈknwɑː/ or /kɨˈn.ə/Spanishquinua, from Quechuakinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beetroots,spinach and tumbleweedshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

No comments:

Post a Comment